Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Gran Turismo 6: Mercedes-AMG Vision GT Racing Series



To continue our quest for more of the Mercedes-Benz's Vision GT concept, the producers provided us with this...



Their new racing version of the first car of Vision GT is almost as what you can refer to as a copycat to the fabled Silver Lightning concept!



See?!



The Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision GT Racing Series concept model is just one of the latest additions on Gran Turismo 6 via the UPDATE 1.04, now in commission. You're now taking behind the wheel of the racing version of the Mercedes-Benz Vision GT concept and with this, it sure is a head turner when you put your foot down.



So, how does it differ? Well, for this race-spec version, it features improved aerodynamics and improved downforce that makes it more track focused and ready to slice down a corner or two. They even added a GT logo at the back to make it more unique. Also, the V8 BiTurbo engine that powers it is now 591HP of power output and it's mated with an updated 7-speed double clutch gearbox focused on performance rather than comfort. It lost 85kg of weight due to the deletion of equipment for utility and comfort. This is definitely a hardcore track weapon for the serious players.



Because of the weight loss, improved aerodynamics, and the added grunt, I can expect a few marginal error every time when I go round a corner or two and thanks to the standard Racing Hard tires, it sure knows how to glide through corners as easy as...cat-like reflexes. Sorry, Mercedes-Benz, for what I said that but you better believe me, your new concept machine really does out-reflexed the rivals' cat-like reflexes.

Which reminds me, the producers issued me a challenge between me and the car itself and to do that, why don't I tell you a little story about me packing things up to Australia and headed to Bathurst to take on the MB AMG VGT Racing Series challenge.



Mount Panorama, located in Bathurst, is one of the most famous race tracks in Australia. It's also one of the most treacherous tracks ever faced even the most professional drivers because of its elevation. Mark Skaife, Allan Moffat, Jamie Whincup, the most professional racers in history risked their lives to survive the perilous elevation in Bathurst, even the legendary racer in Australia known as Peter Brock.

To find out just how good the race-spec Mercedes Vision GT is, I took on the limited-time challenge to set the fastest lap time round the famed Aussie racetrack. They even lend this as a Courtesy Car and if I post my laptime, I get this car as a prize.

What I did is heavily focus on beating the Gold Target Time of 2:07.000 and with that, challenge accepted.

This track is quite dreaded thanks to its elevation that even a slight error would cost more that what you've bargained for. In theory, the VGT Racing Series' aerodynamics would help me get through the dreaded elevation as well as the tight corners but I find myself struggling to survive the stranglehold. It's like getting choked by a crocodile in a cagefight. Crikey!

There's also the near-end part that when after a straight run, you just need the right reflexes to brake and steer through the second-to-last corner because one mistake could spell doom to your driving skill.

In the end, I managed to beat the Gold Target Time and my time is 2:05.956.



So there we go folks. This Mercedes-Benz concept puts the WEH in the cat-like reflexes of the opposition, proving that driving one of these is like a Mercedes-Benz...just before the chicken gets eaten by a jaguar. Good to be bad? Nope. It was born to be wild on the track!

Next time...the final two X2014 models...

No comments: